About the Stanhope Library
The Stanhope Public Library is a non-profit corporation with city support, governed by a Board of Trustees. In 1949, the Y.M.W. Club decided that City of Stanhope needed a public library and immediately began carrying out plans to start one as their club project. They secured permission to use the town hall and spent much time putting in shelves and painting the building. In February, 1950, they were ready to start lending books, although the formal opening was not held until May, 1950. It was moved to the old Community Building in 1953. In July of 2011, a new community center and library was completed on the corner of Main and Parker. The library serves a population of over 400. Today the collection consists of nearly 10,000 items including books, magazines, games, puzzles, videos, and DVDs.